Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"How to Find a Good Husband."


I've been cooking since I was 4 years old. I helped my grandmother in the kitchen, usually doing the bitch work, but it was that very bitch work that turned me into the disciplined cook of today, and the only person my age I know who can actually cook (This baffles me). That side of my family is from the dirty south, and down there, it is an absolute crime and sin against humanity to not know how to cook (well), and back in my grandmother's days, everything was made from scratch, handmixed and kneeded and just stuffed to the brim with love and butter. Anyone can cook, but it also takes practice, boldness, and a pinch of talent to be great, and it helps to be a supertaster biologically. I've used my efforts and skill to show my love for people through food.

I think that everyday should be Thanksgiving, not so much in the gluttonous sense, but in that we should all share our food and stories and laugh over a glass of good wine. The past few Thanksgivings, a holiday I consider "The Olympics for Cooks" I decided to let my family relax, and avoid accidents with my new knife set in the kitchen, and cook the whole meal myself. My grandmother, the master in my eyes, proclaimed after a few bites, "You will find a good husband because you cook so well!" Oh, 1940s Mississippi.

I took it as an amazing complement.

If anything, I've found that men can be coaxed into things when presented and stuffed silly with an amazing meal. I'm just saying...

Few recipes I hoard to myself, but most I share, and teach others, and will happily post here. I hope my blog will educate and entertain you, and encourage you to cook and try new things and take chances (I've gotten food poisoning countless times, but it was worth it.) and love, because real food, real good food is made with love.

1 comment:

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Now I know how I bagged my husband! Lovely blog. ;)